How long does it take to get a permit?

26 May

Permits and approvals for commercial buildings

In Victoria, all commercial buildings require planning approval and a building permit.

Likewise, in NSW, you’ll need most likely need 2 permits – your development approval, and your construction certificate. In some straightforward cases, you may be able to streamline the process in NSW by applying for a CDC (complying development certificate) which is one permit that combines two approvals.

Your first point of call should be a private certifier who can point you in the right direction.

Contact us for recommended certifiers

So what permits are required and how long do they take?

VIC Permits

How long does it take to get planning approval in Victoria?

Your Level 1 approval for a new structure in Victoria is the planning approval, also known as a PP or planning permit.

This high-level approval focuses mainly on the overall appearance rather than the building’s design and engineering. It ensures that your proposed development complies with your local council’s future planning regime, local zonings, and appearance rules. It also makes sure that traffic flows and carpark requirements are met, and puts in place the requirements for drainage and retention to ensure council assets aren’t affected too much by the extra drainage required for the development.

Ultimately, the time frame to get planning approval depends on the complexity of the proposal and the council’s workload and can take as little as one month or well over a year – it’s impossible to state a definite time frame as every project is so different.

This is why it’s always a smart move to get the planning approval first before you proceed with engaging any suppliers or contractors, as their pricing can fluctuate depending on the permit duration.

How long does it take to get a building permit in Victoria?

This permit differs from the initial PP, as it looks at each aspect of the project in much more detail, specifically from a construction point of view.

You’ll need to lodge the application to a surveyor who will assess your proposal and make sure the building complies with the Australian standards & building codes.

You’ll need to collate quite a bit of information for this approval. As of early 2022, time frames have increased due to high demand in the industry, taking anywhere from 1 to 4 months for building approval.

If your permit is taking a while to come through, you can keep your project moving by finalising other plans such as drainage and civil engineering, structural engineering, compliant plans and finalising pricing. There may also be other reports and supporting documents required that are specific to your property.

More about Victorian permits

NSW Permits

How long does it take to get a DA in NSW?

A DA or development approval is your early stage, high-level approval. It focuses primarily on whether your structure complies with various Council schemes, zoning requirements and overlays. A DA also ensures traffic flows and carpark requirements are met, and ensures council assets aren’t affected by the drainage and retention requirements of the development.

As a rough guide, a development approval can take anywhere from one month up to a year.

How long does it take to get a construction certificate in NSW?

A CC or construction certificate covers all the engineering and structural plans, as well as the detailed building plans that your builder will work from. It confirms your structure complies with the Building Code and any other council requirements.

Receiving this certificate can take around 1 to 4 months with the time frame fluctuating depending on industry demand.

More about NSW building approvals

Can you skip the DA and CC and just get a CDC?

In NSW only, checking whether a complying development certificate or CDC is available will save time with the approval process.

Although Councils aren’t usually forthcoming about this option, you can work with your certifier to find out if this ‘shortcut’ applies to your project.

If you get a Section 10.7 planning certificate for your property from the council for a small fee, and give this to your certifier along with your plans of the proposed build, the certifier can determine if a CDC can be done or not.

Ask Steelcorp for advice on building approvals

If you need help or information during any part of the approval process, our experienced team can guide you through, providing advice and support to help you streamline your project.

Our design consultants take the time to work with you through the process, resulting in a tough and reliable structure that will serve your needs for years to come.

Get in touch with our team today for more information on how we work, or take a look at our process here.